Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Playfulness as a state-of-mind...

I woke up this morning thinking about Heidegger - I have now completed the reading the first section of Being and Time. I will record more detailed thoughts on these two chapters later, but I have to get some stuff out now!

It seems to me that in Heidegger's construct playfulness can be equal and complementary to 'anxiety' as a state-of-mind. If 'anxiety' is a window to one's authentic being, then playfulness can be awareness of the possibilities for that 'authentic Being'. This does not mean that playfulness is secondary to 'anxiety'. I don't think that playfulness requires 'anxiety' as a precursor. Playfulness can also spawn 'anxiety' - where anxiety is uncomfortable juxtaposition between 'authentic' and 'inauthentic' Being.

This is a big call and will require further reflection, investigation and understanding. Whatever happens, it feels like a worthy inquiry. Is that feeling the opposite of 'anxiety'? Is that feeling part of playfulness? (omg)

Without revisiting Sartre (his work is still in the mail to the USA), this adds a new dimension to his work. I wonder whether my ideas will stand up when I reread
Being and Nothingness?

I also like the idea of relating authentic shared Being to playfulness, but that is a bit cloudy at the moment.

There is session of the course on
Being and Time is on today, it will be interesting to see what I think after that. I can't wait! Posted by Picasa

No comments: